Monday 21 October 2013

Middle eastern rice (Hashwe)

I haven't eaten rice in probably 8 months, but due to my dietician telling me I needed more carbs in my life and that she would like me to eat brown rice as part of a low FODMAP lifestyle I have been having it in small amounts this past month.


This is an Arabic rice dish that is accompanied by roasted chicken, a dollop of Greek yoghurt and a green salad dressed with lemon juice, salt and olive oil. But it is just as good all on its own!

Ingredients:

150g minced beef or lamb
1.5 cups brown rice
2.5 cups water
1 Tbsp mixed spice (check to make sure it has no onion powder in it)
1 Tbsp Himalayan pink sea salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
1/2 cup flaked almonds

Directions:

  1. In a bowl add in the brown rice, minced meat and all the spices
  2. With clean hands combine all the ingredients so the meat is evenly distributed
  3. Place the mixture in a pot and add the water. You may wish to add extra salt to the water but I prefer to under-salt than over-salt
  4. Once the water boils turn down the heat and simmer for 30 mins or until the rice is cooked
  5. In a frying pan add the flaked almonds and allow to cook on high heat until they start browning - watch them carefully you do not want them to burn
  6. Serve by placing Arabic rice in a plate and drizzling with a small handful of flaked almonds

No comments:

Post a Comment